Heart-Healthy Chicken Recipes.
As you age, few factors are more important than what you may eat. A balanced diet can help seniors maintain a healthy weight, prevent muscle loss, and keep your heart healthy. Menu plans for seniors should include plenty of nutrient-rich foods such as fruits and veggies, whole grains, lean poultry and fish. Your diet should avoid saturated fats, trans fats, and excess sodium and sugar.
If you’re a senior, you may find it is becoming more difficult for you to cook meals as often as you did when you were younger. Not cooking could be due to not wanting to eat alone, medication side effects, a change in taste buds, and the physical difficulty in preparing a meal. You may simply be tired of cooking and completely out of fresh ideas. But it may be easier to follow a heart-healthy diet than you think.
The internet has opened up a world of new cooking material and you’ll find thousands of nutrition-packed recipes for seniors. EatingWell is just one site that can help you enhance your recipe collection. From sheet pan chicken fajitas and chicken white bean soup, to budget-friendly entrée ideas, these heart-healthy chicken recipes are perfect for lunch or dinner. Chicken is a great source of protein and it’s lower in calories than most meats.
Try this simple healthy chicken breast recipe in the video:
Southwest Slow Cooker Chicken Recipe
Calories: 113 per serving
Protein: 17g per serving
Fiber: 1g per serving
Cost per serving: $1.63
Ingredients (serves 6):
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. oregano
- 1/4-1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper (optional and variable depending on how spicy you like your chicken!)
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts or tenderloins
- 14.5 oz. no-salt-added canned, diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 1-3 oz. can of green chiles
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- In a small bowl, stir together chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, oregano and cayenne pepper (optional).
- Place the chicken breasts in slow cooker and sprinkle half of the seasoning mixture over chicken. Flip with a fork and sprinkle other half of seasoning mixture over chicken.
- Pour tomatoes, chilies and chicken broth over the chicken in the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook over low setting for 8-10 hours, or over high setting for 3-4 hours. Break chicken apart easily with a fork once cooked.
You’ll find this flavorful chicken recipe extremely versatile. The shredded chicken can be served as a salad over a bed of lettuce and tomatoes. You can also tuck the chicken inside taco shells or on tortillas and it makes a sumptuous sandwich filling on a whole-wheat bun. Finally, the chicken freezes well for use later in the week.
Click here to access the original recipe from the American Heart Association.
At Mission Chateau, we recognize the vital role a healthy diet plays in one’s life. That’s why our chef prepares nutritious and delicious cuisine using the most valuable food ingredients. Our team is skilled about proper nutrition and healthy aging. Find out how we can craft healthier meals for you or a loved one. Contact us for a complimentary meal and consultation.